The College was founded by Joseph II of Austria in 1781 and opened as Collegio Germanico Ungarico for students in Theology in 1783 in a building previously committed to a monastery (Convento di San Francesco). Napoleon closed the College in 1796 and converted it into a military barrack, a role that the building served until 1947 when the Italian Ministry for Defence transferred it to the University of Pavia with the view that the building should return to the earlier use of a University College. The new College opened on the 4th of November 1948 under the official name of Collegio Fratelli Cairoli.
The primary aim of EdISU Colleges such as Collegio Cairoli is to widen the access to Higher Education and support academically gifted and committed students with limited financial means. The College aims to offer an environment socially and academically rich in which students are able to study productively. In order to achieve this, Collegio Cairoli provides adequate accommodation and facilities, internal teaching and the opportunity to attend and participate in a variety of meetings, seminars and Courses that offer students a culturally and socially rich life College life.
Collegio Volta admits male students studying at the University of Pavia. Admission is through a public competition advertised each year by EdiSU (Ente per il Diritto allo Studio, website: www.edisu.pv.it). Subsequent confirmation of College placement is on a yearly basis and is subject to the student fulfilling the requirements set by EdISU.
The College organises conferences, seminars and tutorials in collaboration with the Alumni Society, including the seminar series ‘Giovedi’ del Collegio Cairoli’ open both to College members and the general public. The College hosts a permanent exhibition of modern art of more than 600 paintings and sculptures and has a Choir that performs regularly in College, at University events and away from Pavia.
College students are involved in a variety of intercollegiate tournaments and events including football, volleyball, dragon boat and the annual treasure hunt.
The Rector is Professor Andrea Zatti, Professor of Finance Science.
Rector Emeritus is Professor Leonardelli Graziano, former Rector of the College.
Piazza del Collegio Cairoli, 1 - 27100 - Pavia (PV)
SINGLE ROOMS: n. 100
GUEST ROOMS: n. 2 single rooms and no. 4 double bedrooms
BATHROOM: n. 2 shared rooms each
PORTER: from 7.00 am to 1.00 am Monday to Friday - from 8.00 to 23.00 Saturday - closed Sunday and holidays, in addition to closures as academic calendar
KITCHEN: n. 4 shared plans
DINING ROOM - BREAKFAST: refectory used as a breakfast room and dinners on special occasions (120 seats)
BAR SERVICE: vending machines for hot / cold drinks and snacks
INTERNET: wireless internet in all rooms and in public areas
COMPUTER ROOM: n. 1 computer lab, equipped with n. 6 seats
LIBRARY: n. 1 library with 25 seats
STUDY ROOM: n. 2 study rooms with, respectively, 20 and 25 seats
HALL MEETINGS / CONFERENCES: n. 1 conference room with 93 seats equipped with a video projector and n. 1 meeting room with 24 seats
TV ROOM: n. 1 TV room with DVD player and SKY
GAMES ROOM / RECREATION: n. 1 game room with foosball table
MUSIC ROOM: n. 1 music room with drums, piano and CD player
LAUNDRY: n. 1 laundry room with ironing facilities and where to hang out to dry cloths
CHAPEL with organ
COURTYARD and GARDEN
PARKING: Indoor parking for bicycles
DISTANCE TO BUS STOP: bus 2 and 10 stopping nearby
DISTANCE TO TRAIN STATION: by car (1.6 km; 4 min.) by bicycle (1.5 km; 6 min.); walk (1.3 km, 20 min.)
DISTANCE TO BUS STATION: by car (1.6 km; 3 min.); by bicycle (1.5 km; 6 min.); walk (1.3 km, 19 min.)